10/29/08

Welcome To The Island: Ralph Fiennes

Today's island theme is guys that you first found hot even when you first saw them in a less-than-desirable role. Every girl loves a jerk, right?

Enter my decade plus love of Ralph Fiennes. The first time I remember seeing him on film was at my high school's obligatory viewing of Schindler's List. The movie ripped my cold heart out and dissolved it in to a quivering pile of despair... yet through all that, I couldn't help notice just how stunningly gorgeous that shithead Nazi Amon Göth was. And I mean seriously stunning in an ice-cold way. Is that even normal?

All I could think of was that line from Sylvia Plath's poem "Daddy":

Every woman adores a Fascist,
The boot in the face, the brute
Brute heart of a brute like you.




Is it strange to lust after a guy playing a Nazi in a movie about a concentration camp? Therapy, anyone?


Ralph Fiennes constantly makes it hard to love him. He specializes in dickhead roles. After chilling my blood in Schindler's List, he managed to creep me out as the original emo guy Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights or as a nutbag in The Red Dragon or even his recent turn as a mob boss in In Bruges. As much as I love The English Patient (yes... I am still holding out for a guy to claim my clavicle as the body part that he owns on me. That scene makes me swoon every time), I will even admit that his romantic Count László de Almássy had tinges of asshole. But he sure was damn pretty in that movie...



Even though I publicly condemned his more commercial turns in The Avengers and Maid in Manhattan (J-Lo? Seriously?), I privately tuned in just to see him play a nice guy. Or maybe just to see him in a sharp suit. Whatever.



Every girl IS crazy for a sharp-dressed man!

I will watch Ralph Fiennes play a Nazi or even a serial killer but I draw the line with all those Harry Potter movies. C'mon... they took his nose away. That is just wrong to mar such perfection.



Must pull out copy of English Patient to heal the pain of looking at this picture.

3 comments:

Leather Peacock said...

Hey, the Harry Potter movies rock! even if he doesnt have a nose!

I second the awesome glory that is the English Patient. The sheer force of those eyes and the clavicle scene! yowza, I gotta go cool down.

Leather Peacock said...

And it is absolutely horrible that right after I posted my first comment, I immediately thought (in full on Julie voice) "dude, its rafe fiennes"

Southern Helle said...

Dude... it's Rof-ay! Of course, this coming from a girl who talked about flip and fucks.

Still can't go there with the Harry Potter movies. I don't care what you or your dad says!